Football Survival Package - Summer 2021
A Government-Funded scheme to further support National League System Clubs (Step 3- 6) severely impacted by COVID-19 restrictions to protect their immediate future.
Are we eligible?
Who is eligible?
National League System clubs that:
- Played at Step 3 to 6 in the 2020/21 season
- Hold less than six months of cash and unrestricted operating reserves
Who is not eligible?
- National League System Clubs (Step 1 - 2)
- Women's Pyramid Clubs
- Grassroots Football Clubs
- Clubs that hold over six months of unrestricted operating reserves
- Regional Feeder League Clubs
About the Fund
Part of the Government's £600m Sport Survival Package, the Football Survival Package - Summer 2021 is a fund that aims to further support clubs at Step 3 to 6 of the National League System who have been severely impacted by COVID-19 restrictions.
Following on from the successful Winter programme run earlier this year, the Survival Package will provide additional support in response to each club's financial need to survive until the start of next season, but won’t replace all lost revenue or profits over the last 12 months. The objective is to ensure football clubs survive the summer period and minimise the long-term damage to participation as they prepare for the 2021/22 season.
The investment has been provided by the Government, with the support of Sport England, and will be delivered through the Football Stadia Improvement Fund (FSIF).
Below you'll discover further details about the funding that your club may be able to apply for, what it can be spent on and the application process.
How much can we apply for?
|National League System Step||Maximum Grant|
|Step 3||Up to £15,000|
|Step 4||Up to £10,000|
|Step 5||Up to £7,500|
|Step 6||Up to £5,000|
These grants would in addition to any previous grants received from the Football Winter Survival Package - where applicable.
The 'Football Survival Package - Summer 2021' is an extension of the Football Winter Survival Package, which closed in February
What can the funding be used for?
The fund is focused on supporting club survival over the coming months. This means that you can use the grant for the majority of your essential business operational costs. The amount of funding applied for will be specific to your club's unique circumstances and will be based on financial need – the fund won’t cover all costs or revenues.
All grant applications will be means-tested as part of the assessment by the FSIF. In the application, you’ll have to show the club’s income and expenditure forecast for April to June 2021. If you can evidence that the club is in financial distress and at immediate risk of closure, you may be able to apply for additional support.
Some common examples of eligible and ineligible costs can be found below. Please note that these lists aren't exhaustive.
What the grant can be used for
- Lease or mortgage payments
- Business Debt
- Commercial Loan repayments
- League and affiliation fees
- Utility costs (including phone and broadband)
- League and affiliation fees
- Essential pitch and stadium maintenance
- Non-playing staff who haven't been furloughed
- COVID-19 compliance measures
- Other financial commitments that have already been made (e.g. catering)
- Ongoing participation in FA Vase / Trophy (2020/21)
What the grant can't be used for
- Expenditure previously included within your 'Winter Survival Package' application
- Any non-essential capital works to the pitch or stadium
- Costs that are eligible to be covered by other Government COVID-19 support schemes
- Non-essential operational costs
- Accelerated repayment of non-connected party lending
- Repayment of member loans
- Purchase of land and buildings
- Transfer and signing on fees incurred during this period
- Costs incurred outside of the ordinary course of business
- Costs of running or participating in subsidiary competitions for the period claimed
- Sinking fund contributions
- Expenditure incurred outside the eligible period
When do we have to use it by?
Once your club has accepted the grant offer and submitted a claim, you'll receive your grant as one single payment. You'll need to use the funding by 30 June 2021 and submit evidence to us of what you've spent the funds on by September 2021.
How do we apply?
The application process will be slightly different depending on whether you received a grant from the Football Winter Survival Package which closed in February:
Football Winter Survival Package grantees
Received a grant from the Football Winter Survival Package? As we've already got all of your details, you'll just need to give us a few extra bits of information and that's it - application submitted. It should take you less than 30 minutes.
If you didn't apply for a Football Winter Survival Package grant, or did and weren't eligible, we'll need a few extra details from you. Your application (which will cover the period of 1 April to 30 June 2021) will require you to provide us with supporting documents such as your accounts and bank statements so it's worth having all of these to hand before you start.