Energy Support Programme launched by Premier League, The FA and Government’s Football Foundation
Today, the Premier League, The FA and Government’s Football Foundation has announced a new package of support to help grassroots football clubs and organisations with rising energy costs. The Foundation’s Energy Support Programme will also help support facilities with the ongoing responsibility to protect the environment by lowering energy usage, where possible.
A total of £6 million will be available across two funds, The Energy Fund and The Floodlight Fund. In addition to this, the Foundation has designed guidance specifically for football clubs that will provide some useful tips and guidance to help reduce energy costs.
The Energy Fund will be targeted at energy-saving measures for clubhouses with the Football Foundation covering 75% of costs up to £25,000 (per application), and the recipient club or organisation providing the remaining 25%. All grassroots football clubs (excluding Step 1-6 of the National League System and Tier 1-4 of the Women's Football Pyramid), charities and community organisations operating affiliated football on their sites are eligible to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) for this Fund. The deadline for submissions to this EOI is Thursday 13 April 2023.
The Floodlight Fund will support clubs and organisations to move from using metal halide (‘halogen’) floodlights to LED floodlights, which will help to reduce energy consumption and thereby save money.
Typical usage of LED floodlights could save clubs and organisations around £8,000 per full-size 3G football turf pitch (FTP) per year in comparison to the use of halogen alternatives. However, the upfront costs associated with retrofitting these LEDs are often prohibitive for many organisations. The Floodlight Fund will seek to resolve this by covering up to 70% of these associated costs on Foundation-funded floodlit 3G FTPs.
Affiliated football clubs, charities and community organisations that have received funding from the Foundation for floodlit 3G FTPs are eligible for this Fund and will be invited directly via email to submit an EOI. This will help the Foundation understand the need across grassroots football.
You can find more details using the button below.