New Grass Pitches
From farmer's field to football field, find out how we can support you with the development of new grass pitches in your area
You don’t have to be a football club to apply to the Football Foundation, however grassroots football must be an integral part of your offer.
You can apply if you're:
- A not-for-profit football club or voluntary group
- A Local Authority
- A County FA
- A Professional Club Community Organisation
- An educational establishment providing facilities for the community
- A registered charity
- A not-for-profit company
- A community interest company (CIC) or other social enterprise
- A company limited by guarantee
You can't apply if you're:
- An individual or sole trader
- A national governing body
- A commercial / for-profit entity
- A club within the Premier League, Football League, National League System (Step 1 to 6), Women’s Football Pyramid (Tier 1 – 4) or the Welsh Premier League
- Educational establishments providing facilities solely for their students
About the grant
What we'll fund
- Creation of new grass pitches e.g. conversion of agricultural land
- Redevelopment of site to form new grass pitches
What we won't fund
- Works which haven't been recommended by a grass pitch specialist
- 'Routine' maintenance works
We ask that you speak with your Football Foundation Technical Project Manager before proceeding with a grant application for new grass pitches.
The project should be professionally designed and managed by a suitably qualified sports pitch consultant. Organisations such as the Grounds Management Association (GMA), Sports and Play Construction Association (SAPCA) and The Register of Independent Professional Turfgrass Agronomists (RIPTA) all hold lists of experts in sports pitch construction. Fees for this service can be included within your grant application.
We’ll require a condition survey or inspection report from a suitably qualified recommending the scope of works to be undertaken.
We’ll also require written confirmation of the landlord's consent to undertake the proposed works, unless you own the facility, or the landlord is included as a joint applicant.
We’re not able to fund works deemed as ‘routine maintenance’. For enhanced annual pitch improvement works, separate grants are available.
As a result of the works, it’ll be expected that grass pitches will be maintained to achieve the GMA’s ‘Good’ pitch quality standard and you’ll be required to continue to submit pitch data through PitchPower annually. Details of the Grounds Management Association Pitch Grading Framework can be found here.
Please note: As of 1 July 2023, we will only accept applications from people holding the role of either Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary or Treasurer of the club applying. This will be verified with the County FA during the assessment process and any applications submitted by people not in one of these roles will be withdrawn.
Document & tenure requirements
We’ll ask you to demonstrate that you have the required ownership, by either freehold, or uninterruptable leasehold from the date of grant offer for a varying period, for a length of time dependent on the grant amount:
- Up to £25,000 – 5 years
- £25,001 up to £100,000 – 10 years
To ensure your application is processed you should include the following documents:
- Photographs of the pitches, indicating the problem to be resolved via the proposed works
- Condition survey or inspection report from suitably qualified sports pitch consultant recommending the scope of works be undertaken
- Feasibility study and specification of works from a qualified agronomist or sports pitch consultant
- Plans / drawings / specification / schedule of works
- Two like-for-like quotations from an experienced contractor, based upon the specification
- Evidence of partnership funding
- Environment Agency / local authority approval (if applicable) / Landlord consent to the works
Once your application and supporting documentation have been submitted, you’ll receive a confirmation email. Your application will be assessed by our Grant Management Team who’ll contact you to discuss your application if they have any queries.