Grants of up to £25,000 available for new or replacement goalposts
You can apply if you're:
- A not-for-profit football club or voluntary group*
- A Local Authority
- A County FA
- A Professional Club Community Organisation
- An educational establishment providing facilities for the community
- A registered charity
- A not-for-profit company
- A community interest company (CIC) or other social enterprise
- A company limited by guarantee
*Please note, if you’re a Football Club looking to apply for Football Foundation funding, only the Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary or Treasurer of that Club can submit an application form.
You can't apply if you're:
- An individual or sole trader
- A national governing body
- A commercial / for-profit entity
- A club within the Premier League, Football League, National League System (Step 1 to 6), Women’s Football Pyramid (Tier 1 – 4) or the Welsh Premier League
- Educational establishments providing facilities solely for their students
About the grant
What we'll fund
- 11v11, 9v9 and Mini Soccer goalposts
- Goalposts that will be used on a 3G pitch that is on the FA 3G Pitch Register
- Futsal goalposts
What we won't fund
- Goalposts which have already been purchased or ordered
- Goalposts for the exclusive use of educational establishments for their students, or from clubs that play within the National League System (Step 1 to 6), Women’s Football Pyramid (Tiers 1 – 4) or the Welsh Premier League
- Individual goalposts (goalposts must be purchased in pairs)
- Replacement of goalpost parts or nets
- Goalposts for use on a 3G pitch that's not on the FA 3G Pitch Register
- Replacement of goalposts for 3G artificial grass pitches that have previously been funded by the Foundation
- Replacement of goalposts that have previously been purchased with Football Foundation funding
- Other items such as corner flags, football kit, footballs, cones
If the goalposts are for use on a 3rd generation (3G) artificial grass pitch, the pitch should be certified for use and be listed on The FA’s 3G Pitch Register.
The FA and British Standards Institution (BSI), in conjunction with manufacturers, have developed standards for goalposts - EN16579 and BS EN 748.
Your supplier must ensure that the goalposts you’re seeking to purchase meet this standard. You must then ensure they’re correctly installed in accordance with manufacturer requirements. Further details on goalpost safety can be found here.
We’d strongly recommend that for safety and security reasons, all goalposts are safely removed and stored when they aren’t in use.
If you’re seeking a grant to purchase five or more sets of goalposts for a site, your application will be referred to our Delivery Manager so that they can get in touch to discuss your application in more detail.
The maximum grant you can apply for will depend on the size of goalposts you are purchasing:
- 2.44m x 7.32m (Adult 11 v 11) - a maximum grant amount of £1,200 per set of goalposts (or 75% grant up to the maximum grant value) based on a typical average purchase price of £1,600 including carriage, but excluding VAT.
- 2.13m x 6.40m (Youth 11 v 11) - a maximum grant amount of £1,200 per set of goalposts (or 75% grant up to the maximum grant value) based on a typical average purchase price of £1,600 including carriage, but excluding VAT.
- 2.13m x 4.88m (9 v 9) - a maximum grant amount of £900 per set of goalposts (or 75% grant up to the maximum grant value) based on a typical average purchase price of £1,200 including carriage, but excluding VAT.
- 1.83m x 3.66m (7 v 7 / 5 v 5) - a maximum grant amount of £900 per set of goalposts (or 75% grant up to the maximum grant value) based on a recommended purchase price of £1,200 including carriage, but excluding VAT.
- 2m x 3m (Futsal) - a maximum grant amount of £600 per set of goalposts (or 75% grant up to the maximum grant value) based on a recommended purchase price of £800 including carriage, but excluding VAT.
If you’re not able to reclaim the VAT, this should be included in your total project cost. The grant amount will be adjusted accordingly. For example:
A club needs a new set (this is one pair of goalposts) of 11 v 11 goalposts and sees some online that are priced at £1,920 including VAT. The club enters this price on the application form and applies to the Foundation for a grant of £1,440 as 75% of the total project cost. The club contributes £480 (25%).
Are you a Football Club looking for funding?
Please note that only the Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary or Treasurer of that Club can submit an application form.
Applications submitted since 1 July 2023 by other members of the Club will be rejected. You’ll be contacted by the Football Foundation team and asked that an authorised person complete a new funding application.
When it comes to the acceptance and claiming stages of your grant, the secondary contact nominated to co-sign the required forms must also fulfil one of the roles of Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary or Treasurer of the Football Club.
Document & tenure requirements
There are no tenure requirements for the purchase of goalposts.
You’ll need to identify the size of goalposts you wish to purchase and submit the online application form detailing the preferred chosen supplier, number of pairs (not individual goals), size, price, VAT (if applicable) and quantity.
It is important your chosen goalposts meet British Standards (BSEN 748: 2013 and 2018 and BS EN 16579:2018). You may be asked to evidence this when claiming your grant.
No other documents are required for your application to be assessed. You will have to confirm as part of the application form that you’re able to provide the balance of partnership funding. You may be asked to provide a copy of the delivery note and final invoice as part of the claims process.
Once you’ve submitted your application, we’ll send you a confirmation email. Your application will then be assessed by our Grant Management Team and you’ll receive an email normally within five working days with a link to download your decision letter and T&Cs on your Football Foundation account.