Date published: 13/04/2015
Supporters Direct’s Supporter Ownership Week, a celebration of clubs who are supporter owned, began on the weekend (11th April) with a series of matches across football and Rugby League.
SD has worked alongside supporters for the last 15 years to make the dream of supporter ownership possible, and the week is about celebrating the people who’ve done it, and the people who have taken or are taking the journey.
A crowdfunding campaign is already running alongside the campaign, where you can donate to raise money for SD to provide more support for supporter ownership in the future. http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/supporter-ownership-week
There are around 60 matches involving supporter-owned clubs during the week, almost every supporter-owned club being in action. SD has created a special Matchfinder service so that you can watch a match at your local supporter owned club: http://www.supporters-direct.org/supporter-ownership-week/match-finder. Some of the key clashes are supporter-owned derby matches:
- Wycombe Wanderers v Exeter City – Tuesday 14th April, 19:45
- 1874 Northwich v Congleton – Tuesday 14th April, 19:45
- AFC Wimbledon v Wycombe Wanderers – Sat 18th April, 15:00
FanFootage will partner with SD to chart matchday experiences at all 40 supporter owned clubs; stitching them together to make the largest attempted supporter sourced video ever seen, to showcase what makes matchday at a supporter owned club so special.
During the next seven days there will also be a series of other events across the country and online, including:
- ‘Unsung Heroes’ will celebrate the work of volunteers at supporter owned clubs. Clubs will be asked to nominate a volunteer at their club who they think deserves special recognition, to showcase to the public those people that make supporter ownership just that little bit special
- A series of online Q&A’s with industry experts, including; Julian Tagg (Chief Executive, Exeter City FC), Spencer Harris (Director, Wrexham FC) and Gareth Evans (Marketing & Media Director, Hunslet Hawks)
- SD Supporter Hub:Supporter ownership in non-league football. A chance for non-league supporter owned clubs to discuss and share ideas (Sunday 12th April)
- The Pompey Story: Hear the inspiring story of Pompey's journey to supporter ownership. We will be hearing from club legend Alan Knight amongst other (Monday 13th April)
- VisitSDat theNational Football Museum (Wednesday 15th April)
Further information can be found on the Crowdfunder website: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/supporter-ownership-week
Supporter ownership plays an important role in SD’s core work to ensure that supporters have a voice at their clubs, alongside that of establishing supporters’ trusts and campaigning for changes in the rules to benefit the supporters and communities that sustain all clubs.
Keep an eye on the website www.supporters-direct.org/supporter-ownership-week, on twitter at @suppdirect, or www.facebook.com/supportersdirect Use the Hashtag #SOW15 #Ours
For a full press pack go to:
For more information please contact:
Robin Osterley, email@example.com / 07968 185 648 or in Scotland contact Michael Wood: firstname.lastname@example.org / 07545 491 981
Download the Supporter Ownership Week logo from: http://www.supporters-direct.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/sow_logo1.png You can find more resources on the website.
Supporter owned clubs in the UK: http://www.supporters-direct.org/supporter-ownership-week/what-is-supporter-ownership
About Supporters Direct
- Supporters Direct helps fans to set up democratic cooperatives (known as supporters’ trusts) to gain influence in the running and ownership of their clubs.
- Supporter ownership week is run by Supporters Direct in England and Wales, and SD Scotland, and supported by its member supporter owned clubs,
- SD representsover200supporters’trusts andsimilar organisations England, Scotland and across Europe, with over 600,000 members.
- 40 clubs in the UK are owned by their supporters, with four in the English Football League; two in the Scottish Football League; and three in the top three divisions of English Rugby League
- A full list of supporter owned clubs can be found at http://www.supporters-direct.org/supporter-ownership-week/what-is-supporter-ownership where you can also read more about what supporter ownership actually is, how it works, and how you can get involved in the campaign