[Skip to content]

Text size
Football Foundation
Search our Site
Funding Partners
*
Premier League & The FA Facilities Fund

Monitoring and Evaluation Results 2015

Premier League & The FA Facilities Fund

Premier League & The FA Facilities Fund

Introduction

The Premier League & The FA Facilities Fund provides grants for building or refurbishing grassroots facilities, such as changing pavilions and playing surfaces for community benefit, with money provided by the Premier League, The FA and the Government (via Sport England) and delivered by the Foundation.

Report period

The findings and graphs below relate to the 2013/14 season.


Key findings

700,206

Participants

561,222

Football Players

756,182

People attended one-off events

23,558

Qualifications gained

138,984

Multi-Sport Players

98%

of projects have self-certified themselves as sustainable

Key graphs

Your browser does not support our interactive graphs.

Comments

  • 700,206 people played sport at Facilities Scheme sites.
  • 70% of these were male football players (493,532), whilst 10% were female football players (67,690), so overall 80% of users (561,222) played football.
  • 138,984 people (20%) took part in multi-sport activity, with 55% of these participants being male (75,875) and 45% female (63,109).
  • 19% of total participants were female, with a higher ratio of female players involved in multi-sport activity.
Your browser does not support our interactive graphs.

Comments

  • We received 91% of surveys, containing activity information from 1,031 funded sites.
  • This large sample size provides a reliable evidence base on which to measure the impact that the Foundation is having at facility projects.
  • 92% of users rated the survey as 'okay' or above, with the majority of these (70%) rating the user experience as 'good' or 'very good'.
Your browser does not support our interactive graphs.

Comments

  • Players from across all ranges took part in football at Facilities Scheme sites.
  • Overall 345,592 people played football, with the most prevalent age groups being junior (29%) and adult (27%).
  • 87% of female footballers are under 18, due to the recent rise in the popularity of girls' football.
Your browser does not support our interactive graphs.

Comments

  • The top eight sports other than football are ranked by which had most participants.
  • These account for more than half of the 138,984 people that took part in multi-sport activity.
  • A total of 67 sports were played at Facilities scheme sites, which demonstrates the range of activities that the Foundation's investment helps to provide for local communities.
  • The Foundation has a target for one third of sites funded after 2006 to have at least 33% of the activity non-football. 18% of projects met this target.
Your browser does not support our interactive graphs.

Comments

  • As well as weekly sporting activity, one-off events are held at Facilities scheme sites.
  • 756,182 people took part in these events.
  • These events help to ensure that the facilities are a focal point of the community, and can provide income to help secure the financial sustainability of sites.
Your browser does not support our interactive graphs.

Comments

  • 4,078 coaching courses were held at Premier League & The FA Facilities Fund sites.
  • This enabled 23,558 people to gain coaching qualifications.
  • 89% of these qualifications were football specific, and 10% of people who gained qualifications were female.
Your browser does not support our interactive graphs.

Comments

  • Within the Monitoring and Evaluation survey grantees are asked to assess the sustainability of their funded project. For each of the eight sustainability areas, a score of 1 (poor) to 4 (very good) is provided to indicate how sustainable the project is.
  • Seven of the eight areas score above 3 (good), with an average score of 3.2 out of 4.
Your browser does not support our interactive graphs.

Comments

  • By totalling up all the scores provided within the 8 areas of the sustainability matrix, this gives an overall picture of how sustainable each project is.
  • Depending on the total score, projects are grouped within one of four categories: project failing (0-8), Requires immediate support (9-16), Sustainable elements (17-24) and Long term sustainable (25-32).
  • The vast majority of projects fall within the top two categories (98%) and are deemed to be sustainable.
  • For the small proportion of projects that have indicated that they are not sustainable, support will be provided by the Foundation to help counteract this.

Methodology

An annual Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) survey is sent out to all 1,138 projects funded by the Foundation's Facilities Scheme. These provide detailed information on the activity that has taken place at funded sites during the 2013-14 season.

  • Surveys sent: 1,138
  • Surveys returned: 1,031
  • % returned: 91%
  • % positive about survey: 92%